The first thing is get a routine started for both AM and PM. Sticking to the routine is the most important part of maintaining healthy smooth skin. Make sure you’re completing your routine and these steps every morning and night:
- Gently Wash Face with a Cleanser. Avoid scrubbing too hard or using rough washcloths or loofahs. These may irritate your skin and cause blemishes to stay on your face longer. If you want to exfoliate, use a cleanser/ soap that is made to do so instead, or invest in a facial cleansing brush.
- Toners for Dry Skin (optional). If your skin is dry or oily, you can skip the toner. Make sure you pick up an alcohol-free toner that fits your skin type. Toner assists in firming and tightening your skin as it clears out dirt in your pores.
- Moisturize your skin. Moisturizers and lotion will regulate the moisture of your skin and keep excess oil production at bay. It is very important to choose a moisturizer based on your skin type; If you have oily skin, use a moisturizer with an oil-free formula, if you have acne-prone skin, invest a moisturizer with active acne-fighting ingredients such as tea tree oil. Moisturize every time you wash your face, shave, or simply need the extra moisture.
- Remove your makeup every night. It can be hard to do this if you’re very tired, but it pays off. If possible, purchase a make-up removal oil/cream or mix a little water and apply to a cotton wool pad, as make-up removal wipes can be abrasive to the surface of the skin.
Don’t ever pick or pop your pimples. It’s not a good idea to pick your pimples. It may be tempting if that blackhead has been staring you in the face, but it’s really not worth it. Picking your pimples can have adverse effects. It is always best to see your dermatologist to make sure you do not end up with facial scars or other adverse signs of skin damage.
- Popping Zits.. Blemishes are inflammations in the epidermis and dermis, the outer and inner layers of your skin. It takes longer for the blemishes to heal when they are popped, so stay brave and resist the urge!
- Picked pimples could leave a scar behind. Pimples are temporary, but scars are forever. If you want smooth skin, don’t make it harder on yourself by picking pimples.
- Limit touching your face. The oils and dirt from your hands will transfer to your face and can easily clog pores. Keeping your hands from your face will also help you break the habit of picking pimples.
Drink a lot of water. Try to put consumer 6 to 8 full glasses of water a day, you’ll notice a difference in your skin. Our bodies are made up of mostly water so it is important to make sure it has all it needs to keep a healthy and smooth appearance.
- Women: should try to drink at least 2.2 liters (0.6 US gal), or nine cups of water a day. If you’re having trouble drinking that much, cut out all sugary drinks from your diet entirely. Actually, you should try to cut out sugary drinks from your diet for your own health’s sake.
- Men: should try to drink at least three liters, or 13 cups, of water a day.
- The lighter color your pee, the less water you need to drink. When your pee is clear, you’re in the clear. When your pee is yellow, it’s time to drink more water.